Bachelor of Science (Honours) with a major in Marine Biology is a prestigious qualification for those who are interested in progressing to further, in-depth research. This postgraduate qualification will also give you a career advantage. More than 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by seawater – this marine environment plays a crucial role in supporting life on our planet. It is diverse, complex and a valued natural resource.
GISM Diploma and Higher Diploma courses are studied full-time over a period of one year and it is provided with a variety of teaching methods including lectures, tutorials, assignments, field studies and independent study.
Diploma and Higher Diploma in Marine Biology: One Year Full Time with a minimum credit requirement of 120 credits.
Entry requirements to Diploma in Marine Biology:
Minimum three “C” passes at G.C.E (A/L) Examination or London (A/L) Examination, including Biology and Chemistry.
Minimum three “C” passes at G.C.E (A/L) Examination (Old Syllabus) including a Biology and Chemistry.
GISM Foundation Programme (Successfully completed with B average)
Selection by an interview.
Modules offered by GISM campus
- Science for Sustainability
- Biostatistics and Bioethics
- Fundamentals of Biophysics
- Chemical Biology
- Molecules and Cells
- Environmental Biology
- Life on Earth
- Introductory Physiology
- Programming Concepts
- Academic Writing, Orientation and IELTS
Studies at Massey University, New Zealand:
Those who successfully complete the Diploma and Higher Diploma programmes continue Studies at Massey University, New Zealand to enter into Third year of the Degree Programme.
Details of the full programme is available at:
Marine biology opens the door to an exciting and dynamic career. Jobs include working in:
- The private sector as an environmental consultant
- Government agencies such as the Ministry of Primary Industries or the Department of Conservation
- A crown research institute, such as the national institute of water and atmospheric research, the institute of geological and nuclear sciences
- For private research institutions such as the Cawthorn Institute
- Researching for a university.
The emphasis on research in this course equips you with the knowledge and skills required to continue on to postgraduate study, including possible PhD study within the school and a further academic career.