Bachelor of Science (Honours) with a major in biochemistry is a prestigious qualification for those who are interested in progressing to further, in-depth research. This postgraduate qualification will also give you a career advantage.
GISM Diploma and Higher Diploma courses are studied full-time over a period of one year and it is provided with a variety of teaching methods including lectures, tutorials, assignments, field studies and independent study.
Diploma and Higher Diploma in Biochemistry: One Year Full Time with a minimum credit requirement of 120 credits.
Entry requirements to Diploma in Biochemistry:
Minimum three “C” passes at G.C.E (A/L) Examination or London (A/L) Examination, including Biology and Chemistry.
Minimum three “C” passes at G.C.E (A/L) Examination (Old Syllabus) including a Biology and Chemistry.
GISM Foundation Programme (Successfully completed with B average)
Selection by an interview.
Core Modules offered by GISM campus
- Science for Sustainability
- Biostatistics and Bioethics
- Fundamentals of Biophysics
- Chemical Biology
- Molecules and Cells
- Environmental Biology
- Life on Earth
- Introductory Physiology
- Programming Concepts
- Academic Writing, Orientation and IELTS
Studies at Massey University, New Zealand:
Those who successfully complete the Diploma and Higher Diploma programmes continue Studies at Massey University, New Zealand to enter into Third year of the Degree Programme.
Details of the full programme is available at:
Massey University, is one of the top universities in New Zealand for graduate employability, with over 93% of our graduates in jobs or further study six months after graduating.
You will have a wide range of career opportunities and can expect these to lead to leadership and managerial roles. These could be in areas including pure and applied research, quality control, product development, and positions of responsibility in medical, forensic, or analytical laboratories.
Potential Employers include:
- Crown Research Institutes (AgResearch, HortResearch, Plant & Food Research)
- Industry-based research institutes (dairy, meat, wool, wheat, forestry, leather)
- Wineries, breweries, food and animal feedstuff industries
- Pharmaceutical development and manufacturing
- Secondary and tertiary educational institutions
- Biotechnology companies
- Scientific publishers
- District health boards
- Banks and finance companies
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Ministry of Business and Enterprise.
The emphasis on research in this course equips you with the knowledge and skills required to continue on to postgraduate study, including possible PhD study within the school and a further academic career.